Catholic Fatherhood, growing in geekiness, holiness and intelligence.

kc0lex (Matthew). Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Serenity Prayer

Below is the text of the Serenity Prayer as found here with my comments in the colored text.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
Dirty dishes, Repairs and Chores will always be and their is never enough time to do them all today, work, take care of yourself and spend time with your family.
courage to change the things I can;
I can change how I treat others, my family especially. The first thing I have to do is to take the time every day work on myself and my relationships. Those are the things that matter.
and wisdom to know the difference.
This is the hard part, as a father I can be stubborn. This is where I need to work harder and check my dislike of humility at the door. No, I cannot always be the superhero (accept what I cannot change).
Living one day at a time;
No guarantee that I will make it to tommorow, I need to remember to spend today as if it is my last here.
Enjoying one moment at a time;
The small things, from something small my child did to the most important thing in the world that she needs to tell me at that moment.
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Pain and suffering are a teacher. I cannot fight them or I will never find peace. Can you imagine how much our Blessed Lord found peace in the ressurection? That peace came through the pan and suffering of the cross.
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
My children will grow up and make mistakes. I look at myself and I know I have made mistakes. I can only work to change myself and accept what is around me for what it is. I am not the hero saving all. I can only accept the graces given to me. That is probably the best lesson that I can teach my children and it goes back to humility.
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
Again, this is humility and trust. The only way that my children can really learn this is by me living it. I remember the prayer of St. Francis, not the first part but the second part. I need to repeat the second part of that prayer every morning.
That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
That is the goal, to get to heaven, in working towards that goal we can find our true happiness. This is also the best training for my kids so that they can get to heaven.
Amen.
I believe, may my body and my actions follow.

No comments:

Google